“But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
I just finished a Bible study on God’s grace and I learned some amazing things. One thing that stood out to me was the verse above, 2 Corinthians 12:9. I did some word studies on this scripture, and here is what I learned from breaking down this verse and looking at the meanings behind some of it’s words.
- He has said: originally, “lay down to sleep,” used of laying an argument to rest, moving to a conclusion
- Sufficient: be content, be enough, suffice
- Power: ability to perform; power through God’s ability
- Perfected: reaching the end (aim); it is well-illustrated with the old pirate’s telescope, unfolding (extending out) one stage at a time to function at full-strength (capacity effectiveness); reaching the capacity effectiveness
- Weakness: without strength; refers to an ailment that deprives someone of enjoying or accomplishing what they would like to do, focuses on the handicaps that go with the weakness
- May dwell: to dwell in a pitched tent; to pitch (live in) a tent (residence!)
So, to better understand it in a new way, here is my translation of the verse:
God ended all questioning or arguments. Nothing more needs to be said, period! His grace is enough so that I can be content. God is the source of power which allows me to reach true and full effectiveness through my weakness (and all it keeps me from doing); so that God’s ability will take up residence within me.
Living with chronic pain, I fully understand “weakness.” However, as I studied the meaning of that word, I learned it meant more than “without strength.” It takes into account all handicaps that go with my weakness. God fully understands that when there is weakness, there are things which can’t be done.
However, God gives me His grace so that I’ll be satisfied and content, knowing that God provides all the ability necessary for me to reach my full capacity of effectiveness. Wow!
There are many things which my chronic pain prevents me from doing, however, God’s grace and power are much greater than my weakness, and He supplies the power to accomplish His will. Even with the limits my pain creates, I can still be effective–because of God’s power and grace!
My limitations only make God’s grace and power more evident, because there is no way I could do it on my own! As I go about my day, if I continue to rely on God’s grace letting His power take up full residence in me, I will create a positive day-as I will be fully effective for Him! Wow!
Prayer: Lord, I’m thankful that You fully understand my weaknesses and limitations. Thank you for supplying the power and grace so that I can accomplish Your will.
About the Author:
Rhonda Sawtelle lives with chronic headaches and pain due to failed back surgery syndrome. Her philosophy is “Create a positive day!” She enjoys watching football, digital scrapbooking, and reading. To read more about how Rhonda creates a positive day, even while living with pain, visit her blog: http://createapositiveday.blogspot.com .